Saturday, February 18, 2012

Riesling two ways

New world and old world, Rieslings a world apart...

On my left the
2008 Trimbach Alsace Riesling was softer, more subtle - honey and hints of petrol on the nose. Soft, but not too soft, very flavorful. Score: 17/20

The 2007 Grosset Polish Hill Reisling was a treasure from my cellar, a recommendation from my good friend Ed. Powerful classic notes of petrol and citrus. Incredibly crisp and tightly wound, a minerally grapefruit finish that only softened slightly over the evening. Score: 17.5/20

Terrific wines, the Trimbach more versatile, but the Grosset a better wine and should be terrific with white fish or shellfish.

4 comments:

Barry said...

Hi Joe....
I can't get any Grosset here in Germany...
and...
where have you been...you lazy blogger!

David said...

I've enjoyed Trimbach but haven't come across Grosset...sounds great!

Maki said...

now I know what I'm gonna ask my uncle... lol.. hope he will buy me one

South Australia Wines said...

Thanks for sharing this review between the two Rieslings.